All BikeFest routes start and end on East Margaret Lane near the Orange County Courthouse in downtown Hillsborough. Parking volunteers are there to direct you to free parking lots located near the start.
BikeFest now offers a choice of 4 routes/rides: a 35-mile half metric, a 45 mile option, a 62-mile metric century, and a 100-mile English century. The 35 , 45 and 62 routes have 2 rest stops while the 100-mile route has 4 rest stops.
Here are the New 2023 Route Maps and Cue Sheets
- 100 Mile RWGPS – https://ridewithgps.com/routes/44576974
- 100 Mile cue sheet – https://tarwheels.net/routes/44576974.pdf
- 100 Mile CSV – https://tarwheels.net/csv/44576974
- 62 Mile RWGPS – https://ridewithgps.com/routes/44577050
- 62 Mile cue sheet – https://tarwheels.net/routes/44577050.pdf
- 62 Mile CSV – https://tarwheels.net/csv/44577050
- 45 Mile RWGPS – https://ridewithgps.com/routes/44577045
- 45 Mile cue sheet – https://tarwheels.net/routes/44577045.pdf
- 45 Mile CSV – https://tarwheels.net/csv/44577045
- 35 mile RWGPS – https://ridewithgps.com/routes/44577039
- 35 Mile cue sheet – https://tarwheels.net/routes/44577039.pdf
- 35 Mile CSV – https://tarwheels.net/csv/44577039
Please download cue sheets to your electronic device or print copies for your personal use. In our efforts to be environmentally responsible, we will not mass print copies of cue sheets for distribution on the day of the event.
There will NOT be a large group start as in previous years, instead we will have an open rolling start to help maintain social distancing best practices. The routes will be open at 7:45, which is still technically twilight so bike lights are recommended. Once you have your wrist bands you are welcome to begin your ride when the routes are open. We wish to encourage riders to be on route as follows:
100 mile riders – be on route before 8:15 am
62 mile riders – be on route before 8:40 am
35 and 45 mile riders – be on route before 9:00 am
The 100 and 62-mile routes go in the same direction, winding thru rural Orange County, and briefly into Alamance County. The first 25 miles is mostly rolling countryside. After the first rest stop these 2 routes split in different directions.
The 62-mile route continues straight through northern Orange County and into Person County. This route is flat to rolling countryside on roads with very little traffic. The 45 mile route is effectively a short cut of the 62, turning RIGHT turn at mile 28.7 and rejoining the 62 mile route 0.7 miles later.
The 100-mile route turns left from the rest stop and proceeds into Alamance, Caswell, Person and back to Orange Counties. This route is more challenging than the 62-mile route with numerous hills, however, most of the climbs are less than 1 mile long. Estimated climbing is about 5000 feet. This route includes some of the best roads around, paceline riding at its best. There are two additional rest stops on this route.
Just before rest stop 2 (the 4th stop for the 100-mile route), the 62 and 100-mile routes reunite and continue back to Hillsborough, with the 35-mile route joining for the last 17 miles over some very scenic flat to rolling countryside. There is one final climb 2 miles from the end.
The 35-mile route riders leave Hillsborough and travel through Hillsborough and out to Orange County on flat to rolling hills visiting 2 rest stops. After the first stop at mile 15, the 35 joins the 62 briefly and then rejoins both the 100 and 62 routes to the rest stop at mile 26. After this last rest stop, the route loops back into town for the last 9 miles which includes some hills near the end.
Free, Family-Oriented Historic District Fun Ride
For those who want a much shorter ride, there is the Free Fun Ride, a seven-mile tour of historic sites in and around Hillsborough. All riders will be provided with directions and can ride the route at their own pace. While there is no fee for the Fun Ride, all riders must still register.
RWGPS 7 mile Route – https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30302148
PDF 7 mile route – https://tarwheels.net/routes/30302148.pdf
For reference, here are the 2019 Route Maps and Cue Sheets:
- 100 Mile RWGPS – http://ridewithgps.com/routes/30526787
- 100 Mile cue sheet – http://tarwheels.net/pdf/30526787
- 62 mile RWGPS – https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30526751
- 62 Mile cue sheet – http://tarwheels.net/pdf/30526751
- 35 mile RWGPS – http://ridewithgps.com/routes/30526692
- 35 Mile cue sheet – http://tarwheels.net/pdf/30526692